Griffin Make The Mavs? The $150K Question
On Friday we brought you the Eric Griffin story and the crafty contract details on the summer-league standout.
Now some more information that hints to the faith the Mavs have in the development of the 6-8 stringbean forward.
We've learned that his three-year deal with Dallas contains $150,000 in guaranteed money the first season. While not a big amount in NBA-contract terms, it's certainly enough to hint that the Mavs expect they'll keep him when the season starts. At the same time, the lack of any guarantee in Years 2 and 3 does make it easy for them to go a different direction down the road, if he doesn't develop as they expect.
So, in six simple nuggets:
1. Griffin has $150,000 guaranteed in Year 1, and none in Years 2 and 3.
2. So essentially he's on a make-good deal.
3. If Mavs cut him in camp, or anytime until the time he's been paid 150K in salary (probably that will happen around Jan 1), he will end up getting 150K.
4. On Jan 10, if he hasn't been waived before then, the rest of this season is guaranteed.
5. 150K is prob enough money to indicate that the Mavs are thinking he's a solid bet to make the team - which of course can include being assigned to Frisco.
6. If he makes the team and lasts the year, the Mavs have him under contract for the next two seasons at the minimum, but there are no guarantees. That means that if they should need to (and want to), they could waive him for cap room in the summer of 2015 or 2016.
It's a win-win all around, Griffin getting the best chance at NBA security he's ever had, the Mavs getting a high-flying prospect and the chance to develop him ... while maintaining the flexibility just in case there is a better direction to go.
DallasBasketball.com Recommended Stories
Michigan: Brandon Resigns, Hackett Interim AD
Michigan President Mark Schlissel officially announced the resignation of athletic director Dave Brandon Friday. Schlissel appointed Jim Hackett as the interim AD with the plan moving forward to hire…Read More
Hoops: Where are the Top Recruits Going?
The initial basketball signing period begins in less than two weeks and there are currently 22 players in Scout.com's 2015 top 100 still uncommitted. Who are those 22 players considering and who will…Read More
Catch Big Fall Bass on Natural Lakes and Rivers
Check out some great tips for bass fishing up north as the water cools on its way into winter. There is some great fishing to be had right now before it gets too cold.Read More
7 Haunted War Sites
Not only do tourists visit battlefields and war camps, but also rumored sightings of visitors from the other world.Read More
2015 NFL Mock Draft 1.0
We're at the halfway mark of the NFL season, so here's our first crack at a mock draft. Hey, Oakland Raiders, you're on the clock!Read More