Jameer And Aminu: Two New Mavs Ironmen
The Dallas Mavericks have sealed deals with Al-Farouq Aminu (two years at the minimum with a second-year player option) and Jameer Nelson. And even though these acquisitions come at the end of the Summer Shopping period, they are significant in part because of the things the two players have in common.
Yes, Aminu is a long forward, is defense-and-rebounding-minded, is still a diamond in the rough, and is 23. And yes, Nelson is a squatty-bodied point guard, a decade-long NBA vet with an All-Star appearance and playoff skins.
But note the common threads:
In the last 4 seasons, Aminu ...
1. played 303 games (out of a possible 312); he's very reliable and never gets hurt
2. started 171 games
3. started 65 last season in New Orleans and played in 80
4. has averaged over 23 minutes per in his career
5. logged 2,045 minutes last season. (As a comparison, only four Mavs last season played more minutes: Dirk, Marion, Ellis and Calderon)
The collective point being, this is a regularly-used starter who won't turn 24 until September, and Mavs are getting him for the minimum.
Meanwhile, over the same time period of the last four seasons, Jameer (now age 32) ...
1. played 257 games (out of a possible 312)
2. started 257 games ... and has always been a starter
3. started 68 last season in Orlando and played in 68
4. has averaged over 29 minutes per game in his career
5. played 2179 minutes last season. (As a comparison, only four Mavs last season played more minutes: Dirk, Marion, Ellis and Calderon)
And now you see the common threads. ... and some facts are clear.
These Mavs last two additions to the roster are proven starter-caliber players elsewhere. They come on inexpensive two-year deals with player options in Year 2 and in terms of their order of acquisition, they are Nos. 14 and 15. So how much will they be counted on?
Rick Carlisle will be charged with figuring that out. But their NBA track records say they have the ability to play and contribute and even be iron men.
DallasBasketball.com Recommended Stories
Odell Beckham makes catch of the year
Former LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham made what has to be the most incredible catch of the NFL season. Check out the highlight reel grab!Read More
OU's Perine rushes into record books
Norman has seen a lot of special days, but few will compare to what Samaje Perine did Saturday in rushing for 427 yards and five touchdowns.Read More
College Week 13: 10 Saturday Takeaways
Breaking down all the battles that mattered this weekend.Read More
5 NHL Teams with Tailgating Crazy Fans
When it comes to tailgating, football might be the first sport that comes to mind, but don’t underestimate hockey. The NHL has some of the most passionate fans in all of sports, and they don’t let up…Read More
Apache Administers Death to Taliban (VIDEO)
The Apache helicopter is one of the most famed and efficient killing machines in the U.S Army. Get the skinny on this 'steel dragon' and watch what one does to a platoon of Taliban fighters in…Read More