We take you inside tonight's Mavs-at-Hawks 6:30 p.m. pregame start (with Fish, Ortegel, Harp and Followill on FSSouthwest) with an Advance-Scouting look at the Hawks. The tendencies, sets and how-to's on beating the Hawks in this final regular-season game with offensive and defensive playbook details from NBA scout Kyle Leath ...
The starting lineups and game info ...
|F- Joe Johnson
||F- Shawn Marion
|F- Josh Smith
||F- Dirk Nowitzki
|C- Jason Collins
||C- Brendan Haywood
|G- Kirk Hinrich
||G- Delonte West
|G- Jeff Teague
||G- Jason Kidd
Hawks on Defense:
• Tendency to lose focus as a team. If home court is clinched, don’t be surprised if they lay an egg defensively.
• Will gamble in passing lanes
• Solid rebounding team. Good shot selection will be a key.
Hawks on Offense
• Although both teams can benefit from a win it will be interesting to see how much the front line play in this game. With that said, Atlanta runs most of its offense through Johnson and Smith. Johnson is more of a face-up jump shooter, that can shoot the three whereas Smith will find points more in the paint with his back to the basket
• Guard play is solid and Teague can get to the rim.
• Not a big assist team. Will get into a mode where four guys watch one guy with the ball trying to create a shot.
How to Beat the Hawks
• HALF COURT O – Run sets and make them play defense into the shot clock. They will lose focus.
• REBOUND – Dallas must limit second shots. Keep Smith off offensive glass.
• BENCH – The Hawks have a shaky bench. Even if the Dallas Mavericks rest some starters (as may be the case with Kidd), still should have an advantage.
Tonight's TV ...
It's Fish, Coach Ortegel, Mark Followill and Derek Harper on FSSouthwest starting at 6:30 p.m. with all the news and views from Atlanta!
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games.
If you like this level of insight into the World Champion Dallas Mavericks, try our Premium Mavs coverage! This is what we do, every day, with 28 years of experience on the beat! It’s pennies a day to get All-Access to what the Mavs are doing upstairs, down in the basement, in the locker room and on the court – and it’s free to come inside for
a 7-day tryout. Now more than ever, there’s no reason not to give it a go! Thanks for your support of the site at less than a dime-a-day! Go Mavs and Go Premium!