We take you inside tonight's Utah-at-Mavs 7:30 p.m. pregame start (with Fish, Ortegel, Harp and Followill on FSSouthwest) with an Advance-Scouting look at the Jazz. The tendencies, sets and how-to's on beating the Jazz with offensive and defensive playbook details from NBA scout Kyle Leath ...
|F- Demarre Carroll
||F- Shawn Marion
|F- Paul Millsap
||F- Dirk Nowitzki
|C- Al Jefferson
||C- Brendan Haywood
|G- Gordon Hayward
||G- Delonte West
|G- Devin Harris
||G- Jason Kidd
Jazz on Defense:
• Solid man-to-man. Do a good job fighting screens both on and off ball.
• Guard the ball hard on the perimeter. Not a lot of uncontested shots.
• Will funnel the ball to big men on drives.
• Hit hard at ball, trying to force turnovers. Dallas must be strong on drives.
• Utah plays good transition defense.
Jazz on Offense
• They are a very good transition team always looking to score easy buckets with Millsap and Heyward filling the lanes. Jefferson is an effective trailer. Harris is not a big assist guy. He will try and take ball to basket or stop and pop a lot in transition. Mavs fans who enjoyed Devin here probably haven't seen near enough of this during his Utah career (but he's got it in him):
• Early offense looks to get Millsap and Jefferson on the block where they are both effective with their backs to the baskets as well as being able to step out and face up.
• Primary half-court set is a 1-4 with UCLA cut by PG and then a number of options for the wings and ending with a post up/iso opportunity for 4/5.
• Not a good shooting team from the perimeter.
How to Beat the Jazz
• STOP THE BALL – Must get back in transition and stop the ball. Make them play a half-court game on offense
• BENCH – Very strong bench scoring-wise. Dallas must get solid scoring from reserves.
• MUSCLE THE BIG FORWARDS -- Utah comes hard at you with Jefferson and Millsap. Here's a clip that demonstrates what the two muscular forwards do for Utah on the offensive end. ... and let this serve as a reminder that somebody's got to muscle back:
Tonight's TV ...
It's Fish, Coach Ortegel, Mark Followill and Derek Harper on FSSouthwest starting at 7:30 p.m. with all the news and views from Utah!
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games.
If you like this level of insight into the World Champion Dallas Mavericks, try our Premium Mavs coverage! This is what we do, every day, with 28 years of experience on the beat! It’s pennies a day to get All-Access to what the Mavs are doing upstairs, down in the basement, in the locker room and on the court – and it’s free to come inside for
a 7-day tryout. Now more than ever, there’s no reason not to give it a go! Thanks for your support of the site at less than a dime-a-day! Go Mavs and Go Premium!